Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Once again it's time to round up the usual suspects

The Class of 1965 reunion committee meeting at Fyfe's in August 2005 to plan the 40th reunion. Front row, left to right: Ralph Guerin, Craig Garrett, John Bruns. Back row, left to right: Tom Niemczyk and Cathy Downs (missing from the photo is Jane Wadsworth Blandino).

While I was out walking tonight, a car pulled over to the curb and someone tried to catch my attention: It was Ralph and Linda Guerin -- so of course, I asked him why he hadn't responded to my email about having a reunion committee meeting.

Ralph said he's retired and no longer has e-mail, but he was easily persuaded to assume responsibility for contacting reunion committee members and convening a meeting. I'd already heard from Craig and Jane. Craig said he was willing to meet most anywhere. Jane wanted to meet at the usual place -- Fyfe's on East Washington Avenue -- but it's closed. I told Ralph that as I was walking I'd been thinking about meeting places and it occurred to me that Papa Phil's on Monroe Street might be an idea worth considering: It's owned by Phil Clemente (Class of 1960) and while I've never been there, I've heard reports from other alumni that the good is good.

Since Ralph is going to contact committee members the old-fashioned way -- by telephone -- he should be able to reach Cathy and Tom, whose e-mails bounced back because the addresses were out of date, and John, whose e-mail didn't bounce back, but who hasn't replied either.

The reason for the meeting would be to set the date for the 45th reunion in 2010. At the 40th reunion there was a consensus that the 45th should be the first weekend in October after the World Dairy Expo that there wasn't a Badger home football game at Camp Randall. By my reading of the schedules, that means the weekend of October 22-24, 2010, but we need to meet to make it official.

If you've been yearning to help plan the next Class of 1965 reunion and you're willing to attend a couple of meetings over the next two years, send me an e-mail or drop me a postcard and we'll be glad to have you join us.

No comments: