Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Dane County Historical Society presents "I Remember Central High School!!" -- but they forgot to tell most of us about it

The weather forecast for Saturday, June 7th is sunny and warm, so lots of people in the Madison area are no doubt planning to spend time outdoors. Perhaps they'll head Downtown to shop (or gawk) at the Dane County Farmers' Market, where they'll also find the annual Cows on the Concourse event taking place.

Maybe they'll head down the the Memorial Union Terrace to soak up some sun and enjoy the Isthmus Jazz Festival, mosey over to Yahara Park to participate in the Marquette Waterfront Festival, enjoy the music at the Brooklyn Bluegrass Festival, or visit the Henry Vilas Zoo.

Maybe a few of them will drop by the downtown campus of MATC to attend the Dane County Historical Society's program featuring a couple of Madison Central High School alumni -- if, that is, they even know about the event described in the flyer shown below:

I discovered this flyer by accident on Monday: I was at the Stoughton Public Library doing some research and just happened to see the flyer on a bulletin board next to the photocopy machine. Naturally, I made a photocopy, which I scanned and transformed into a format I could post here. I just wish the Dane County Historical Society did a better job of publicizing events such as this one. If they'd sent me a copy of this flyer when it was first issued, I would have posted it then. Now, it's a little bit late for most people to include this event in their plans for Saturday.

If you read the fine print at the bottom of the flyer, you'll learn that there's a potentially interesting development afoot. I'd like to be able to provide more details about this development, but I won't be able to attend the event. Saturday is my birthday and I have other plans.

I will, however, attempt to find out more about the digitization of The Mirror and post a report here when I have more information.

No comments: