Thursday, April 05, 2007

A story about Purgolder John Verwiel

If you're reading this, you're probably among the millions of people who've used Google to search for someone -- a former teacher, a relative, an old boyfriend, or even yourself.

Last Fall, John Verwiel, a Purgolder (Madison East Class of 1965), entered his own name into a Google search and found this post about the East High Junior cagers. He sent me an e-mail and I went to visit him. That's when I learned about his volunteer work for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.

As a writer, I'm always on the lookout for great story ideas, and when I learned what John had been up to recently, I knew his was a story that needed to be told. Lots of people do volunteer work, but what makes John's story so remarkable is that he's actively engaged in helping others even though he's battling Parkinson's disease.

My story about John is in the current (April 2007) issue of 50 Plus Lifestyles. I hope you'll pick up a copy and read about John. The magazine is available in the Madison area at most grocery stores and public libraries, as well as some Walgreen's store. It's free and filled with interesting articles.

Many of the stories are also published on the magazine's web site, but as of today stories from the April issue haven't yet been posted. If you're not in the Madison area but want to read the story, send me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

No comments: