Monday, April 09, 2007

Remembering the Shangri-Las and catching up with the former Leader of the Pack,

No, the woman in this scan from isn't a Central alumnus: She's Mary Weiss, former lead singer for my all-time favorite Girl Group, The Shangri-Las. Last month, she was the subject of a feature story in New York magazine because she's staging a comeback as a solo artist.

There was a time in my life when I knew all the words to songs such as "Leader of the Pack" and and "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)" -- and after chugging down beer and raw clams at a party on the grounds of a college not far from where J.D. Salinger was reportedly living, I seem to recall singing the lyrics with a band. Or perhaps that story is apocryphal. In any case, I digress.

I'm in the process of pulling together all the information I want to include in an upcoming "Oldies But Goodies" post about a local band most Central alumni of a certain age are bound to remember, but until that task is complete, I thought I'd direct your attention towards Mary Weiss.

For those of you who, for whatever reason, can't remember the Shangri-Las, here are a couple of YouTube videos to refresh your memory. The sound on the first one isn't terrific, so you'll really have to turn up the volume. The sound on the second one is much better, but it doesn't show the Shangri-Las in performance.







In addition to reading the New York magazine article about Weiss, you may want to visit her MySpace site, which includes songs from her new CD. Really! You didn't think MySpace was just for kids, did you?

1 comment:

D Strand said...

Well, now everyone in WMRD has heard "Leader of the Pack" one more time, but only I have seen the video! Mary Weiss kept a straight face until the end when she finally smiled! What a hair-do! That must have been a bee-hive, or a hornets nest. I can't believe that you knew all the words to all the songs, Nadine. I hope your using your knowledge at Karoake in Madison. I had a few songs memorized like "Eve of Destruction", "Love me Tender", and "I'm Gonna Be Strong" by Gene Pitney. Out East here I tell people that the only songs that I know are "If You Want to Be a Badger" and "On Wisconsin". Sometimes I get away with singing them!!