Tuesday, March 06, 2007

This is a test: Name (and correctly spell) the 50 states in 10 minutes or less

Can you name and correctly spell all the states in 10 minutes or less? Accept the challenge and try the online quiz I discovered at Gadling. But wait just a minute before you click on the link to the quiz. Take a deep breath and pull yourself together, because the clock starts ticking as soon as the page loads.

I passed the quiz with flying colors, because long ago before the invention of the Internet, I used to challenge myself to memorize all sorts of things: poems, the names of the 50 states (and their capitals), the presidents of the United States (in order). And if you're a member of the Madison Central High School Class of 1965, you undoubtedly have had some experience memorizing things such as the Preamble to the Constitution and the Gettysburg Address, as well a poem or two.

One feature of this name the states quiz makes the process a little easier: As you enter the correct names in the text box, they automatically appear in the space below it, enabling you to keep track of your progress.

Ready to spend the next 10 minutes on an educational activity instead of surfing the net for the latest news about Anna Nicole? All right, take a deep breath and click HERE.

1 comment:

D Strand said...

Nadine,
I never had to challenge myself to memorize things as I was challenged by my teachers at Madison Lutheran School. We had an hour of memory work everyday from second through eighth grades. I still remember verbatim, the first assignment in second grade.