Monday, March 19, 2007

Some "Central connections" to Madison Modernism

I've been doing battle with a nasty cold bug and trying to meet some writing deadlines, so I'm too enervated to write and post very much right now. While you're waiting for some more new posts, have a look at the photo on the left and try to figure out what the "Central connection" to this building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, might be. The building is located on the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and East Gilman Street. Here's a clue to the "Central connection."

The Madison Trust for Historic Preservation cites this building as an example of "Madison Modernism." Two other buildings in the vicinity -- one on Wisconsin Avenue and one on West Gorham Street are related to this one -- both architecturally and in terms of a "Central connection."

And if you're an Elvis fan, you'll probably be excited to learn that the building on Wisconsin Avenue also has an "Elvis connection."

2 comments:

D Strand said...

Yes, this was the Quisling Clinic. Gunnar Quisling - Central graduate. I learned something from your clue, Nadine. I did not know that Dr. Gunnar Quisling was a member of my church, Our Savior's across the Capitol from his clinic. Rev Nils Osleby who conducted Dr. Quisling's funeral in 1951, confirmed me in the Lutheran faith in 1961.

D Strand said...

Opps. Your picture is the Quisling Tower, not the Quisling Clinic. Easy mistake to make since the Quisling Clinic is just down Wisconsin Avenue from the Tower. Your second link gave me this bit. I wonder how many of those buildings in your second link were designed by that most famous Madisonian, Frank Lloyd Wright. I think the Universalist Meeting Hall was. I find it rather odd that FLW's name is not even mentioned in that link of the historic places in Madison.