Wednesday, March 28, 2007

An evening at the UW-Madison's 109-year-old dairy barn

After a long day of hard work, I decided to take a break and attend the public program celebrating the designation of the UW-Madison’s 109-year-old dairy barn as a National Historic Landmark.



There were lots of speakers, and lots of slides and photographs. The program was rich with historical information, and, of course, I took some notes. But a long post about the event will probably have to wait until the weekend, when I have more time and energy and no looming deadlines.

After the program, there were tours of the dairy barn -- or you could just wander around and take lots of photos and ask lots of questions. Thanks to Professor John Parrish, I now know a great deal about the tools and techniques involved in equine reproduction management -- and I have lots of instructional photos.

By the time I finished asking all my questions, the National Historic Landmark plaque had been removed from the easel where it had been on display for the program and packed away in a box, where it will reside until it can be installed in a large boulder in front of the barn. However, I managed to convince someone to open the box for a minute so I could take a photo of the plaque.

Here are a couple of other photos from this evening's adventure in history and husbandry. More later. Right now, my energy is flagging and I need to crawl under the covers for the night.


No comments: