Monday, January 01, 2007

New toys for a new year

Most of the new toys I expect to be playing with in 2007 are not the kinds of things you find under your Christmas tree, wrapped in shiny paper. Instead, they're features I plan to learn how to use and add to my blog empire (this blog, the Central History blog, the obituaries archives, and a blog or two I haven't told you about yet).

The first to arrive on the scene is a Flickr account for my photographs. Look in the right hand column for the heading "My Photos on Flickr" and you'll see a small set of photos. Click on one of them and it will take you to the Flickr account for Central Historian (that's me), where you can view all of the photos I've uploaded. Flickr allows me to use tags and descriptions. Plus, if you have a Yahoo e-mail address, you should be able to log on and leave comments under the photos.

I'm still learning how to use all the tools available in Flickr, so bear with me. In the meantime, take a look and play around with some of the options for locating and viewing my photos. And then, if you've never taken a look at the huge number of photographs other people have posted on Flickr, do some exploring.

Eventually, my blogs will be transferring to the New Blogger (formerly known as Blogger Beta). Then, I'll be able to use tags on the post, making it easier for you to find things. For example, I can tag a posts with "football" or "cheerleader" or "Mr. Colucci" -- or whatever else I want. When you click on a tag, you will open a page that takes you to all the posts with that same tag. Nifty? Absolutely? Time-consuming to go back and make tags for all 450+ posts? You betcha! So don't expect this little toy to be available for several (or more) months.

No comments: