Thursday, December 14, 2006

Reunions and reminiscences

So much to do, so little time to do it -- but I have finally posted photos from the 50th reunion of the Madison Central High School Class of 1956, as well as a poem written for the occasion by Cheryll Moling Thompson. Both are on the Central History blog.

I have a few photos from the 40th reunion of the Class of 1966 and I'll try to get those posted soon -- perhaps even by Christmas.

Until I have the time to write some more posts -- including a list of Christmas gifts with definite Central connections -- you may enjoying browsing this list of businesses on State Street in 1966, compiled for Isthmus by Dave Medaris (who went to Madison West High School). Very few of these businesses -- many of which had strong Central connections -- remain open today. Leave a comment about what you remember about some of these stores and restaurants of yesteryear. Or if you still haven't figured out how to leave comments, send me an e-mail and I'll post them for you.

7 comments:

Madison Guy said...

Is it just my eyes, or does this picture keep changing? And what Photoshop filter was that on the Christmas tree mosaic?

Nadine said...

The photo has been changing. The first one seemed too faded (probably not enough contrast). I wasn't sure if people would recognize the second one, which was indeed created with the mosaic filter on Photoshop (golly, whoever you are, you're really smart!).

Since you seem adept at using Photoshop, let's do a joint project to showcase our skills and designs. I'll e-mail you the original, under-exposed JPG and we can both create some variations on it. I'll post mine and yours here (and you may do likewise on your blog, if you wish). Not a competition: just a bit of fun. And you don't even have to reveal your secret identity to participate.

Madison Guy said...

Bring it on!

D Strand said...

Oh, besides Goodman's and the Chocolte House, The College Barber Shop (they gave you a "Princton") is still on State Street from yesteryear. I still get get my hair cut there when I come to Madison. I got my hair cut there all the time after high school. Of course, during high school, I got it cut at Russell Green's shop on the 600 block of East Johnson Street (he could make it perfectly flat) right next to Danny Fix's place and before high school at Radall's barber shop on Patterson Street around the corner from George's Food Store. I guess I strayed further and further away for a hair cut with age.

Anonymous said...

Seems that the Brathaus at 603 State Street has been mysteriously left of the list. Wonder why.

WormDr
MCHS-64

D Strand said...

I don't think that the Brathaus has been there as long as these other places. My first recollections of it was around 1965 when I would go down there after working eight hours at The Chocolate House.

Anonymous said...

The Brathaus was built in 1953 on the corner of State and Lake. It replaced the Log Cabin which was a block up State Street more or less across the street from where the Pub is now.

WormDr
MCHS-64