Friday, October 06, 2006

Keeping up with alumni obituaries

Dick Daley (Class of 1966) sent me an e-mail today to make certain I posted the obituary for Jesse "Ed" Sprague, who was also a member of that class. I had already posted the obituary, but Dick may not have noticed it because there is no direct link to it on this page.

Since this blog was originally created to provide information for and about the Class of 1965, the only obituaries that are part of this blog are those of members of the Class of 1965 and some teachers and principals.

Once I created the Central History blog and began posting obituaries for members of other classes, I had to make some decisions about how to handle a large (and ever-increasing) amount of information and still make it relatively easy to locate. There simply wasn't enough room to add another long list of links in the right-hand column. That's why I created separate blogs to archive obituaries: one for obituaries published from 1990 to present and one for obituaries published prior to 1990. There are links to these two obituary archives underneath the list of obituaries for members of the Class of 1965.

The obituaries in the 1990 to present archives are listed in order by publication date (which in most, but not all, instances is within a few days of the death date). Blogger.com still does not have wonderful internal search engines, but if you use the Google search box in the right-hand column on the archives page and type in "madison central high school" (use the quotes around these four words) wisconsin and the name of the person you're searching for (I suggest using just the last name to start), you should find the obituary if I've posted it.

I check the local obituaries daily and post obituaries regularly. However, not every obituary indicates whether or not the deceased was an alumnus of Madison Central High School. If you see an obituary (in the local newspapers or elsewhere) and you know the person was a Central alumnus even though that information is not provided in the text, please let me know, so I can include it in the archives.

There are more than 450 obituaries in the 1990 to present archives. You can access a whole month's worth of obituaries (e.g, June 2001) by using the Archives pulldown menu in the right-hand column.

All obituaries published prior to 1990 are in a separate blog. Since Blogger doesn't allow me to create post dates any earlier than January 1, 1990, the obituaries in this archive are listed by the date they're actually posted.

The new Beta version of blogger has a feature called "categories" that will allow me to make it a bit easier to locate information. For instance, I will be able to create a category named "Class of 1966 obituaries" and clicking on that category should generate a list of all those obituaries. It's going to take me a while to switch to the new Beta version of blogger and begin to use the categories. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

1 comment:

D Strand said...

I left a comment about Jesse after his obituary on the All-Central blog.