Sunday, September 24, 2006

Autumn is here and so is a letter from Ronna

Just checked the email for the blog and found a letter from Ronna Paris Moore, who misses the kind of fall color we enjoy in Madison. I couldn't find a link to the newspaper photo of the entrance to Vilas Park she mentions in her letter, so I've added one of my own to stir the memories of some of you who haven't been to Henry Vilas Zoo lately. Ronna's letter is posted below the photo.



Happy First Day of Autumn! This is the first cool, dry morning we've had in months and I think it's the first coolish first day of autumn EVER on the Suncoast! There have been all sorts of comments about it on the local news this morning. Unfortunately, cool and dry won't last long and we're getting pretty tired of the rainy season about now.

Well.. this morning, right there in my own little Bradenton Herald was a beautiful color picture of the entrace to Vilas Park in Madison! I see the beautiful colors have begun and I'm a little envious! This part of Florida usually gets a little "color" (other than green) in January when the Sycamores start to lose their green and begin dropping leaves.

I had the opportunity to visit Madison for one lovely afternoon this past June. I was facilitating a Schools Attuned training in the Chicago area for a week and met my wonderful brother, Chris, and his wife, Marla one Sunday morning in front of Franklin Elementary School. We spent the day visiting all the places we knew from our childhood. It was a very sentimental day, and I was especially touched by how little my own little neighborhood had changed. Madison is a beautiful city!

Well...I couldn't help but think of all of you, my fellow classmates, and wish I had had time to say "hello" in person, but it was just something that happened quickly! Now I'm wanting to take my two children to my "home" to show them where their Mom grew up; I think they would enjoy it.

Enjoy your beautiful autumn! Someone in the South is thinking about y'all. :-)

Ronna Paris Moore

1 comment:

D Strand said...

Thank you for the letter, Ronna, and happy first day of autumn to you, too! I go back to my old neighborhood on East Mifflin Street all the time and I always get those same feelings you described. My neighborhood too has not changed much. My neighbor Mrs. Hubbard has lived in the house next to ours since 1939, that's 67 years and she invited me and the Bear (Bill Lewis, Central class of 62)in for conversation and a meal. I don't remember her being that friendly in 1957. Her lawn that I used to streak across to her chagrin on my green Schwinn corvette with whitewall tires is still the same. I also love to go to the beaches in my neighborhood which where Brearly, Tenney Park, BB Clarke (where Mike Rounds was a life guard), and Conklin (now James Madison). I liked those beaches so much that we would even swim in them at night in the 60s. Thanks for bringing back the memories, Ronna, and hope you have a wonderful Autumn with very few hurricannes (ha,ha)!