Saturday, March 25, 2006

Ripped from the headlines: "Blog tracks Central High's greats"

Doug Moe likes a good story and he's written a book about boxing at the UW-Madison, "The Lords of the Ring." That's why he thought he might be looking at a good story for his column in The Capital Times when someone showed him the obituary for Bill Withers, with its mention of Bill's participation in the Little Bucky Badger Boxing Club. The obituary notes that, "Bill and one of his opponents were once the under card match to the main event of Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali)."

And then Moe read my post about Bill Withers on this blog and sent me an email on Thursday, asking me to telephone him at work. I returned his call and we talked about my blogs, including this one and the Madison Central High School History blog (a.k.a All-Central Blog). I told him I was researching and writing a history of of Central -- and, of course, retiterated what a great school it was and how he needed to write about it more than once a year.

When I returned home that evening, after many hours in several libraries, there was an urgent email message from Moe, asking me to telephone him again. It had been sent many hours earlier. I wasn't able to reach Moe at that late hour and could only hope he hadn't scuppered the story of Withers as a result of my failure to respond to his quest.

When I did catch up with him the next morning, he told me he'd already written his column and it was in Friday's newspaper, which wouldn't arrive in my neighborhood until afternoon. Suspense ensued. Around lunchtime, I checked my sitemeter and noticed that there had been an unusually large number of visits to the All-Central blog in the past hour. Hmmm. Perhaps Moe's column was online and perhaps it had mentioned the blog. Indeed it was and indeed it had. The headline was "Blog tracks Central High's greats." Wow!

The response over the next several days was tremendous. A great many people read the column (online or in the newspaper) and subsequently visited the All-Central blog. There are lots of great stories about Central and its "fiercely loyal" alumni out there. Let's hope Moe writes about some more of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THOUGHT YOU MIGHT FIND THIS OF INTEREST. IF THIS IS THE DOUG MOE I KNOW, HE WAS MARRIED TO MY SISTER, BETTE MCCARTHY. I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU ASK HIM ABOUT THE BOOK HE WROTE REGARDING A FAMOUS FOOTBALL PLAYER THAT TOOK STEROIDS BEFORE THEY WERE POPULAR YOU WILL FIND OUT WHAT AN INCREDIBLE WRITER HE IS. I AM GOING YOU USE ANONYMOUS BECAUSE I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT ELSE TO DO. BUT I'M MARY JO MCCARTHY - CLASS OF '65

D Strand said...

Mary Jo,
You have so many sisters that at least one of them had to be married to someone famous. I think that Doug Moe went to West and I know that you went there for your freshman year so, I'm not Sherlock Holmes, but I would bet that Doug Moe met your sister at West!

Joe "Buffo" Cerniglia said...

I'm Joe "Buffo" Cerniglia. Doug Moe the columnist was indeed married to
Betty McCarthy. Her father is or was Danny McCarthy, who at one time owned the Shamrock Bar on West Main Street. Doug and Betty are divorced.