Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Leisure Suits, Long Dresses and Excused Absences

I've been spending a great deal of time these past several weeks in libraries and archives -- looking at old Tychoberahns and back issues of the Madison Mirror -- so there hasn't been much time to post things on the blog lately. I've learned that the Tychoberahn, which was first published in 1900, wasn't always called the Tychoberahn, especially during the 1930s and 1940s. I've seen the wonderful complete set of The Madison Mirror (1924-1969) our principal, Mr. Marsh, gave to the Dane County Historical Society. And I've seen PTA minutes, National Honor Society records, and a scrapbook that may bring tears to your eyes. Filled with newspaper clippings, the scrapbook was maintained during World War II to keep track of Central alumni in the military, many of whom lost their lives fighting for their country.

I'm also trying to track down other printed material, including old yearbooks. Is there a copy of a 1931 Madison Central High School yearbook (perhaps called The Orange and Black instead of Tychoberahn) somewhere? Or wasn't one published that year? And if so, why not? I'm still trying to answer these questions. Contact me if you can help.

One person who attended the 40th reunion has responded to my plea for words to go with photos. Very soon, I'll post her story. In the meantime, please consider sending me an update about yourself, too. We want to know what you'be been doing for the last 40 years, your favorite memories of Central -- and maybe the name of your favorite teacher.

So that's my excuse. However, until I have more time to post, here -- should you chose to accept it -- is your homework assignment. Take a look at this photo from the 10th reunion and help me identify those people in long dresses and leisure suits sitting by the side of the outdoor pool at the Park Motor Inn on a lovely day in 1975. Hint: I'm quite certain one of them is actually a visitor from the Class of 1966. Leave a comment or send me an email if you can help put names on these faces.


9 comments:

D Strand said...

Nadine,
That is a very good picture. My how cool and hippie we were! Without looking in the Ty or anywhere else, the front row is from left to right: Linda Harmon, Art Wopat, Mickey Gartland, and Larry Shapiro.
The back row is from left to right: unknown, unknown, Case Grintjes, and Dave Beckett (from Madison Lutheran).
They still looked pretty much like they did in high school, after only ten years, (unlike now) except they traded in their white Levis for leisure suits (the guys that is!)

Marlene said...

I dont believe that is Linda Harmon in the picture. She moved when we were Juniors I believe. She and I were great friends at the time. She didn't graduate at Central.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, bad grammar. Linda did not graduate from Central. I think the girl you are referring to is Nancy Logan

Anonymous said...

That is Marlene leaving the comment. For some reason my comment wouldn't go through using my name ...So I went to the anonymous choice.

D Strand said...

OK, maybe that IS Nancy Logan, but I'm pretty sure I have the other ones correct. But, who are the two that I called unknown??

Anonymous said...

to tell you the truth I don't think that is Case either OR Mickey Gartland. Enlarge the photo and you can see it isn't Grintjes for sure. I think he was a spouse of someone at Central. I am really having trouble trying to figure out who the "unknowns" are.

D Strand said...

Yes, we have concluded in the enlarged version of this photo above that that is NOT Mickey Gartland next to Larry, since Mickey says she's never been to a reunion. Well, maybe she'll be at the 45th. I can't believe that the 2010 reunion will be the 45th. Hope to see you there Mickey and you, too, Marlene!!

Anonymous said...

I'm quite confident that sitting in the front row next to Larry Shapiro, is the lovely and charming Patty (Dokken) Shapiro (Class of 1968). Patty now lives in Akron, Ohio. I'll send her the photo, maybe she can help identify the others.
- Michael Vahldieck

Anonymous said...

Patty (Dokken) confirms that she's sitting next to Larry in the photo; but she isn't sure who the other people are.
- Michael Vahldieck