Thursday, January 05, 2006

Explosive News! Chemistry Teacher Found in Indiana

In 1990, the members of the 25th reunion committee asked members of the Madison Central High School Class of 1965 to respond to a questionnaire that asked them to indicate, among other things, the name of their favorite teacher. Several names recurred with with astonishing (or predictable) frequency. Sadly, most of these teachers are no longer with us.

But not all our teachers are listed in the teacher obituary section on the right hand side of this blog. Some are alive and well -- and one -- Mr. Streator -- is flying to South America today.

I recently located Mr. Streator and sent him an email. His reply was prompt and enthusiastic, and it's printed below:

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:58:53 -0500

Nadine-

Yes, I am the culprit. I did teach at Central. I looked at the blog and saw some very familiar faces! It certainly would be fun to see these people again! I really enjoyed my years at Central.


I received a PhD from Purdue University and taught chemistry at Manchester College (40 miles due west of Fort Wayne and about 55 miles south-southeast from South Bend) for 35 years. I am married, have two sons and 3 grandchildren. I retired from teaching in 2000. Since then, my wife and I have traveled and I acted as a "project shepherd" (coordinator between faculty and builders) for the building of a new $17 million science center
at the college. In 2004, I went to the 50th anniversary of my high school graduation in Appleton, WI.

Currently, we live in the country on a 13 acre site with a 1 acre pond and love it. The day after tomorrow, we will be flying out to South America where we will spend a week in the mountains (12,000 feet or more) and a week in the jungle (200 feet or less).

I would love to hear about the 1965 class. If you published anything for your 40th anniversary, please let me know how I can get a copy.

Thanks for writing.

Jim Streator

1 comment:

D Strand said...

Mr. Streator,
WOW! It is so good to hear from you. Yes, I was one who wrote you in as my favorite teacher, actually a tie between you and Mr. Pete Olson. Pete was a helluva' coach, two state championships, not Downtowners, of course. And you were a helluva' teacher.
I have so many stories from your class, I wouldn't no where to begin. How about your frozen tennis ball trick, Mike Fullwood's goldfish eating, or the tank of acid that destroyed Jean Jensen's blouse.
Purdue is a pretty good school. I approve. I always knew you had potential! That is probably what you would have said to me. I remember how proud I was in tenth grade, 1962, when you gave me "the smart kids" examine for the first chemistry exam instead of the average exam. It was about a hypothetical periodic table on another planet. Good stuff!!
You cared about us, and we still care about you. I hope we can all keep in touch!! Doug