Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Just the Cold Facts and a Mystery Woman

Saturday, I attended a memorial service for Joel Gersmann, the former artistic director of Madison's Broom Street Theater, who died in June. Lots of shared memories, lots of food -- and lots of hugs and handshakes. And we all know where that may lead us, especially this time of year, don't we? Yes, indeed: straight to bed a few days later. All alone because you really don't want to share the cold that's making you feel so miserable: the sniffles and sneezes, the cough, and the vexing fatigue.

But there actually are people who'd like you to share your cold -- or at least the gory details. So that's why I volunteered for a cold study being conducted by the UW-Madison. Somebody really wanted me to contribute a bit of that sniffle stuff to their Petri dish. Somebody wants to make me feel useful when I'm too tired to do much of anything. In turn, I have to fill out questionnaires twice a day and ingest large pills four times a day that may (or may not) speed my recovery. It's a blind test and I don't know whether or not I'm taking Echinacea.

All of which is a long way of saying I've been too exhausted for the past several days to do much blogging. I'll get better sooner or later (with or without Echinacea), so there will probably be some new posts by the weekend. In the meantime, I need some help with a photo caption. I know the photo below, taken at the 35th reunion, features Tom Sorenson on the left. But who's the woman? I queried She Who Knows All, but the response was less than complete. She Who Knows All says it's "somebody's wife," but not Tom's. Probably not a member of the Madison Central High School Class of 1965. Somebody out there must know the identity of this mystery woman. Leave a comment or send an email. Sorry, this is not a contest: it's just one of those projects in cooperation we sometimes have to confront.

4 comments:

D Strand said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cold. You better not run for President; all those handshakes will knock you out. Your dedication to biological sciece is extraordinary. Mr. Streator and Mr. DeRose will be very impressed when they read your post, as I'm sure they do.
As for the picture, I have no idea who the woman is, although I wish someone would write in and tell, since she does look familiar. I didn't even recognize Tom, although he looks pretty good for 53; no gray hair or anything.
Oh, oh. I just sneezed. I wonder if I've caught your cold on-line!

D Strand said...

I brought my Tychberahn to work today to scan the senior pictures and identify this mystery woman. I hope she's not a classmate's spouse. I narrowed her down to nine people. I think that the mystery woman is either (in alphabetical order): Mickey Gartland, Joan Harvey, Dianne Hoffman, Carol Lloyd, Jackie Peterson, Martha Soules, Judy Winner, Susie Sunshine, or Marcia Vogt. If it is one of those nine, I would like to know, so I can take myself out to dinner!!

nancy ellis said...

Jim Bakken's 2nd or 3rd wife

nancy ellis said...

why in the hell would you EVER bring your "TY" to work?