Sunday, May 26, 2002

Obituary: Charles Tortorice

MADISON - Our dearest beloved Charles Thomas Tortorice passed away on Thursday, May 23, 2002. He was born on June 26, 1947 to Joseph and Patricia Tortorice. He was the beloved and loving husband of Joni and the adoring father of Maria. Survivors include his wife, Joni; daughter, Maria; his mother, Patricia; his brother, Steve (Marsha); nephew, Michael; and niece, Gina. He is also survived by many aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. He was preceded in death by his father Joseph. He grew up in the Bush, and attended St. Joseph's Elementary School and Madison Central High School. Charles loved sports and was an excellent athlete. He particularly enjoyed basketball with Maria on the court and on television. Joni and Charles were soulmates in life, married for 28 years, and loved and supported each other. Charles worked for the Madison Metro Paratransit Service. Our dearly beloved Charles was the most kind, gentle, caring, sensitive and forgiving human being. He was most beautiful both inside himself and out. Charles loved Christ more than life itself. His desire was to live a full life with his family. We know he is with Christ in the Kingdom of God and is living there eternally. He was a wonderful husband, father, son and brother. Charles cared so deeply for others. He would put all human beings and animals before himself. Charles had identification with St. Francis of Assisi who gave up his material life for a simple following of love of God. In Charles' heart he was a brother of St. Francis. Charles, we love you, we will think of you always. Your presence and touch will be missed. You will always be in our hearts. We know you will look down on us from ChristÂ’s eternal home with great love and protection. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 26, 2002, at ST. MARIA GORETTI CATHOLIC CHURCH, 5313 Flad Ave., Madison, with Monsignor Michael Burke officiating. Visitation will be held from 1 p.m. until the time of the services on Sunday at the church. Private graveside services will be held at Sunset Memory Gardens on Tuesday. In lieu of flowers, please make memorial gifts to further Maria's education.

Novena To The Sacred Heart of Jesus
O most holy Heart of Jesus, foundation of every blessing, I adore You, I love you, and with a lively sorrow for my sins, I offer You this poor heart of mine. Make me humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to Your will. Grant, good Jesus, that I may live in You and for You. Protect me in the midst of danger; comfort me in my afflictions; give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs, Your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death.


Originally published in the Wisconsin State Journal on May 26, 2002

1 comment:

D Strand said...

I played basketball against Charley in 8th grade when he was at St. Joseph's and I was at Madison Lutheran. They beat us twice. He was Joe Massino's (coach) favorite after Jack Troia.
Then, we played together at Central. He was a very good point guard. I, too, taught and played basketball with my daughters. I am saddened by Charlie's passing. The obituary was very good and I appreciate, Nadine, your making it available. A lot of us really like to know. As the Novena requested, Charles had the grace of a holy death. Doug