Sunday, February 04, 1990

Obituary: Bruce Knox

Madison GI Killed in War is Honored



MADISON, WISCONSIN (September 18, 1968) - Nine months after his death in Vietnam action in February, a Madison GI has been awarded a host of medals for valor.

Army Cpl. Bruce Knox, son of Mr. and Mrs. Warner Knox, 1862 Fisher St., received the Silver and Bronze Stars, the Air Medal, Purple Heart, National Defense Medal, Vietnam Campaign Ribbons, and Combat Infantry Badge.

The honors were presented to his parents by Col. Edward G. Pike, military science professor and head of the Army ROTC program at the University of Wisconsin.

Cpl. Knox was cited for his actions during a mission near Hue, the old Imperial capital in the northern part of South Vietnam.

While serving as a rifleman with the 12th Cavalry Division, Cpl. Knox twice moved through hostile fire, once to assist a wounded GI, the second time to administer first aid to a wounded soldier.

After returning to his position he was mortally wounded.

Note: The above was taken from a news story published in the Wisconsin State Journal on September 18, 1968. Bruce was killed on February 4, 1968.



Cpl. Bruce Knox
Dies in Vietnam


Army Cpl. Bruce Knox, 20, of 1861 Fisher St., was killed in action in Vietnam Feb. 4

His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Warner Knox were notified of his death Sunday.

He was a member of the First Calvary Division and had been in Vietnam for nine months.

A graduate of Central High School, he was a former employee of the Gisholt Machine Co. he was a member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church.

He is survived by his parents and his maternal grandmother, Mrs. Laura Herron, Chicago.

Arrangements are pending at the Joyce Funeral Home, 540 W. Washington Ave.

Note: The above was taken from a news story published in the Wisconsin State Journal on March 16, 1968

11 comments:

Nancy Ellis said...

Bruce Knox was sweet, gentle, kind and caring.He made me laugh and was someone I considered to be my friend.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the picture and the copy of the obituary. I was his Godchild, but never got to meet him, and was always hesitant to ask too many questions considering the era. I still have gifts that he sent me from Vietnam.

ed nelson said...

Northern I Corps was a pretty rough place post-Tet in February of 1968. I was there and was greatly relieved when Bruce and the rest of the 1st Air Cavalry Division came and bailed us out. I also recall Bruce as a gentle soul and I believe that the note in his grade school year book said that his ambition was to 'fly without wings.'

Anonymous said...

One of my best friends.We grew up together.Went to Franklin school together.He was as the others have said a gentle,kind and fun loving individual.His death turned me against the war in Vietnam

Carl Johnson said...

I was with Bruce On Feb. 4th 1968. I was one of the guys he saved that day and then was killed doing it. For two days I watched this man do unbelievable feats of heroism. Yes he was my friend and I will never forget him.
ctjohnso@acrec.com

DStrand said...

I was not close to Bruce at Central. I never really got to know him. He was the first person I knew who went to Vietnam, though. I was scared to death of Nam. I can't even imagine what he must have went through. I served in Thailand in 1971 in The Signal Corps. Very easy duty compared to Bruce. I wish now that I had gotten to know him, a true American Hero. He was definitely a man of great, great courage, the highest emotion. I did touch his name, though, at The Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C. May God bless and keep him!

Anonymous said...

I'd known Bruce since we were 11 years old. He spent a lot of time teasing me and we fought so much as kids and teen-agers, that so many people thought we were siblings. We dated for about 2 weeks and were extremely nice to each other, but we preferred the teasing/fighting so we went back to that. When he was home on leave we spent a day together reminiscing, laughing, and it is a day I will never forget. Every time my husband, a Viet Nam vet, and I visit D.C., we visit the Viet Nam Memorial Wall. Although I said good-bye to him at his funeral, I really didn't think it would be as traumatic as it was, seeing his name on that Wall. But it was. I will never forget him.

Anonymous said...

i grew up with Bruce and graduated from high school together. His mom told my mom I was the last person from Madison to see him. We were both at the Grey hound station together in Chicago. I was returning to college after sumer break and Bruce was going to Viet Nam. He and his buddy hung out with me till my bus arrived. He told his mom we had the best time together and we did. To this day I still think about the time we spent together.

Mona Adams Winston said...

I remember how hard his Mother took his death. He was older than me, but I remember when he was going off to "war". It was a sad time for all of us on the southside.--Mona Adams Winston

Mona Adams Winston said...

I just remember how hard is Mother took his death. It was a sad time for the whole southside. We were proud of his brave acts, but we missed him. The war we all watched on the news actually came to Madison when we lost Bruce.

Doug Strand said...

I just got the movie "Platoon" on DVD. Of course, I saw it in 1986 when it first came out. A pretty good movie. I thought of Bruce several times while watching it. The actors were good but Bruce was the real deal!